The Anchorage Petroleum Wives Club began when a group of ten women gathered to meet and welcome the wives of oil and gas employees transferred to Alaska. In 1958, by-laws were proposed and the first officers were elected. Dues were $5 per year. We continue to provide members with opportunities to socialize and share interests through our Luncheons and Activity Groups.
Since our founding, the Anchorage Petroleum Wives Club has established a charitable component, the Anchorage Petroleum Wives Foundation, a 501(c)(3). The Anchorage Petroleum Wives Foundation supports (through volunteerism and fundraising) a number of local non-profit organizations. Although we support a variety of non-profit organizations throughout the year, each year we select an organization to be our annual Non-Profit Partner. Recent Non-Profit Partners include the Alaska Center for the Blink and Visually Impaired (2013-2014), The Children's Lunchbox (2014-2015), Alaska Botanical Garden (2015-2016), and The Alaska Zoo (2016-2017). To raise funds for this local non-profit, we organize an annual Charity Fundraiser, typically in February.
In 2017, the membership voted to change the name of the organization to the "Anchorage Petroleum Women's Association" (effective June 1, 2017). Although the name of the organization has changed, its nearly 60-year mission continues. We were formed and are still intent on providing Anchorage-area women with a place to socialize, share interests and become active members of the community. Interested in joining us? Learn more by visiting our Membership page.
Not ready to join? "Like" our public Anchorage Petroleum Wives Club Facebook page to learn more about us and follow what we're doing in the Anchorage community.